The annual Christmas at the Courthouse Horse and Carriage Parade returns this weekend on Saturday, Dec. 7, in downtown Dayton.
The day will include special sales events at the local merchants, the Christmas Critters pageant and parade, brunch at the courthouse, photo opportunities with Santa Claus, and vendor booths will be set up on the courthouse lawn. The night will conclude with candlelight caroling at the courthouse.
Events on Saturday, Dec. 7, include:
• Jingle Bell Run — The event is a 5K a one-mile family fun run. United Way officials said that dogs are welcome on the one-mile fun run. Runners can register for the event at the Rhea County United Way website at www.rheaunitedway.org/jingle-bell-5k--fun-run.html. Runners can also register the day of the event in downtown Dayton from 7:30 to 8:15 a.m. The 5K is slated to begin at 8:30 a.m. with the one-mile family fun run/dog walk beginning at 9 a.m.
• Brunch at the Courthouse — Brunch will be offered from 9 to 11 a.m. on the main floor of the Rhea County Courthouse. Tickets are $10 for children and $15 for adults.
• Photos with Santa — From noon to 3 p.m. on the main floor of the Rhea County Courthouse, MainStreet Dayton is offering photos with Santa Claus. Tickets are $5 and can be preordered from MainStreet Dayton. Tickets are $8 at the door, and the event is first come, first serve with preordered tickets taking precedent.
• Christmas Critters Pageant — This year’s pageant will take place from 1 to 2 p.m. at Centennial Parl. Registration is $5, and pre-registration is preferred. Only domesticated pets are allowed, and no full size horses are allowed.
• Entertainment — From 2 to 2:30 p.m. MainStreet Dayton will provide entertainment on the Centennial Park Stage.
• Parade — The non-motorized Horse and Carriage Christmas Parade begins at 4 p.m. along Market Street in downtown Dayton.
• Candlelight Caroling — Immediately following the parade, gather around the Christmas tree on the Rhea County Courthouse lawn for an evening of Christmas caroling.