James Thompson

A Dayton man is behind bars after allegedly fighting deputies with the Rhea County Sheriff’s Department [RCSD] and possessing methamphetamine, according to an arrest report on file at the sheriff’s department.

James Thompson, 26, is facing numerous charges after he was stopped by RCSD Deputy Jesse Wilkey while on routine patrol on Back Valley Road.

Wilkey said that he was driving near the 800 block of Back Valley Road on Monday, Dec. 9, at around 5 p.m. when he saw Thompson and a woman walking in the area.

“As I approached Mr. Thompson, I noticed that Mr. Thompson’s reflexes were very exaggerated, and he appeared highly intoxicated,” As I got close to them, I had to turn my car around, and they both ran through a yard and onto a porch where I made contact.”

Wilkey said that while speaking to Thompson, he noticed that his “nose appeared very dry, and his pupil size was very constricted.”

“Mr. Thompson placed his hands into his pockets despite verbal commands to stop,” Wilkey said. “Myself and deputy David Layne and Zack Ryan attempted to place Mr. Thompson into custody, and during this time, Mr. Thompson stated, ‘Let’s go,’ turned quickly and hit deputy Layne in the face near his mouth and jaw with his fist.”

Wilkey said deputies struggled to place Thompson under arrest, and at one point Thompson pushed Ryan off of the porch, causing him to fall nearly three feet and land on his back.

“I deployed my taser, which made contact with Mr. Thompson’s abdomen area, while myself and deputy Layne continued to struggle with him.”

Eventually, Layne deployed his taser, and Wilkey had to deploy his taser a second time before Thompson was apprehended.

“Upon search of Mr. Thompson, a red and black case was located, which contained a plastic bag containing 10.7 grams of methamphetamine, along with 15 empty plastic bags for resale of the methamphetamine.

Thompson was later booked into the Rhea County Jail, where he was charged with possession of a Schedule II controlled substance for resale, public intoxication, resisting arrest and two counts of assault on an officer. According to jail records, no bond has yet been set, and he was still incarcerated as of press time Friday.